Saturday 1 April 2023

A poem inspired by the cover of Kafka on the Shore -- Day 1 of #NaPoWriMo23


Dear Readers,

Hello. Hope you've been well. 

It's Day 1 of #napowrimo23. It has dawned wet and grey where I am.

Poets, Start Your Engines prods the prompt and challenges the poet to "write a poem based on a book cover."

Engine started. Challenge (almost) accepted. 

I wrote this poem inspired by 'Kafka on the Shore' last year. Why not enter it to start the challenge and then take every day as it comes, I tell myself as I punch the laptop keys and hope that another 'new' poem will find its way to me while I go about my day. 

Thank you for being here and for reading my poetry.

You know I'd love to read your comments.

Wishing you all a fabulously creative April.

Arti



“Kafka on the Shore”

This cat, all-white, thumbnail size

stares at me from a semicircle of white:

A thick arch drawn to the right of the spine.

A moon must’ve spilt in half or gone to hide

Behind.

 

But this cat, all-white, thumbnail size

sits quite still

under a rectangle, built with walls

that are white:

cradling in its solid arms, all-white

Dark and Light

hints of Blue and a dollop of Navy.

 

The cat’s tail, a twisted white noodle, fallen off mid-bite from a fork

questions me with its shape.

The all-white tail of the all-white cat

asks: “when will you look up?”

Or perhaps it’s the cat, white and thumbnail size,

that’s prodding me to put the phone down and pick up

the book it’s etched on instead,

and read that which is claimed

by the New Yorker to be

“An insistently

 metaphysical mind-bender”.

 

If you take your gaze away from the cat, all-white and thumbnail size

and let it hover

just above the thickly drawn white rectangle on the cover,

you’ll discover that while Haruki Murakami lies imprisoned

in the rectangle’s strong and solid arms,

Kafka on The Shore

roams free

on Dark and Light hints of Blue and  a dollop of Navy.

 

13 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful. Reading it feels like I'm trying to analyze an abstract painting. It is so full of many different elements.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to find you back here! Favorite line "The cat’s tail, a twisted white noodle, fallen off mid-bite from a fork..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hari OM
    I confess I went looking for the book cover... and all I could find were red ones, and ones with a face and glasses on it, some with a black cat... So an image of the cover that prompted you might have helped me here!

    Glad to see you on the blog again - and looking forward to daily visits! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Yamini. Your words are the spring to my blogging winter. They always put a smile in me.
      Also, I've added the cover photo now:)

      Delete
    2. Hari OM
      Aha... Beats me that there are so many variations on the cover art - and that this one didn't show up in my search! Yxx

      Delete
  4. i loved this.
    The repetition of the first line... this cat, all-white, thumbnail size ; wonderful. Full of potency. The image will stay with me

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I have to go look for my copy and see what the cover looks like. Good to see you back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good to see you here Kristin. I have added the cover to the post now:)

      Delete
  6. Hi Arti! So glad to be here, reading your poetry. I loved the repetition, This cat, all-white, thumbnail size. Also where you take it to the end ... the Kafka Murakami parallels.. or not. Hey, how about adding the picture of the cover?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sonia. I've just added the cover photos. Hope the poem does justice to the cover art.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your thoughts and comments here.