Saturday 8 April 2023

Day Eight of #NaPoWriMo 23

Dear Readers,

In order to give my April attempts (first drafts, really) a fighting chance to mature into good enough poems to submit to literary journals in the future, I've decided to remove some of my poems (those that I feel have potential to grow) from my blog after a day. I have to thank Romana for planting this idea in my head.  Submission processes are rather exacting and at this point in my life, I'd like to find nurturing homes for my poems.

The(optional) prompt for Day Eight of #Na/GloPoWriMo challenges the poet to use all of the 'Twenty Little Poetry Projects" (originally developed by Jim Simmerman) in one poem. 
You may want to click on the link Day Eight to find out what these twenty projects are. 
In order to get myself in the mood to write to such an extensive prompt, I visited some of the poets who'd written and posted their entries already. I must say I was impressed and motivated in equal measure. 
I've taken my poem down but have left these beautiful roses from a garden in Srinagar, Kashmir (clicked in August 2022) to wish you Happy Easter Sunday.


8 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    Oh this was lush! Loved every stanza... but I confess, now all I want is to go cut the mango waiting my my kitchen 😂 YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The mention of mangoes made my mouth water, Arti! Your poem is delicious and full of lovely imagery. I love the idea of slicing open the sun before it set – the opening stanzas really wowed me – and the way you instilled the poem with roses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading the poem so beautifully Kim :)

      Delete
  3. "And take all the chances, no matter the outcome." I felt like that, when I was young. I'll be reading this over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristin.

      I feel as we grow older, sometimes, we focus more on the outcome (s). It's liberating to be child-like again.

      Delete
  4. Absolutely stunning Arti. I was so intrigued by your poem that I went around reading others and then the twenty prompts and I am going to try this. I loved what you did with the fifth one. Also that you used metaphors all along.
    Oye! Who displaces whom when we die. I read this line multiple times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sonia.
      I'm so glad you're attempting the prompts. Looking forward to reading your piece.

      I've never written anything like this before. I believe that sometimes prompts take you to places you avoid exploring voluntarily. This sort of cleansing is good for a poet's pen :)

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your thoughts and comments here.