Saturday 7 April 2018

G is for Golden Cap: A coastal walk with stunning views #AtoZChallenge

Yesterday, I'd sneaked in (as Yamini pointed out) a sixth favourite thing of mine in my list of five. I didn't realise I'd done it but when I read her comment, I noticed how my first love had sneaked into the list (despite not starting with F)!

Yes, yes, I confess. Going for long walks is the thing I love the most. I want to use the word mostest, just to emphasize how much I love walks. Ideally, I like to go alone. Sometimes, I let my camera or my phone give me company. The husband can join if he wishes to, but there's no expectation to keep pace or talk. We may share paths, but we walk in our universes, joined and individual, half of a whole, happy in our spaces and paces, gaits mis-matched but heading to the same home afterwards.

Children, in-laws, friends, strangers, sister, nieces and nephews have shared walks with talks which I cherish very much. And when I go back to those spots: parks, beaches, seasons, winds, blossoms, fragrances, snippets of those moments drift into my conscience like birdsong: always sweet and melodious, no matter how often one hears it.

So, brace yourself for a walk along the Jurassic Coast of Britain, today. We are going to climb Golden Cap, take a few photos, nibble on some sandwiches in the tall grass, drink bottled water and soak in the scenery. Hold on to your hats and scarves--it's a tad windy today.

Are you ready? 

But where is Golden Cap exactly? you ask.

"It's a hill and cliff situated on the English Channel coast between Bridport and Charmouth in Dorset, England. The cliffs are the highest point on the south coast of Great Britain. The name derives from distinctive outcropping of golden greensand rock present at the very top of the cliff."

says Wikipedia









 To kip in the sun after a long walk, with tummies full and no plans to go to after:
is this not heaven on Earth?
I clicked our friends, the Banerjees and AJ (whose better half I am) while they rested.
I tottered around solo for a bit before we had to head home.
Hope you find your heavens today and feel at home in whatever you do.
Hope to see you with H.
Have a wonderful weekend.
xx

17 comments:

  1. I too love walking along coastal paths. I live close to Beachy Head and often wander along the Seven Sisters cliffs. I may even go today as the sun is shining!

    My Friend Rosey - G is for Grannie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you manage to go for that walk Keith? It's been cloudy here in Doha which means it's perfect weather for walking as the sun doesn't beat down too fiercely.

      Delete
  2. Hari OM
    That last is such a British image - sunshades and overcoats! Prepared for all weathers. This was a bracing and enjoyable wander... I live on the coastline of the Clyde estuary. Golden is not a term which could be applied, but it holds its own value!

    Glad you could giggle at the extra f-serving yesterday &*> YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari Om Yamini.
      Exploring the Scottish coast is on my list. Our daughter did a bit of it last summer (camping along the coast) and loved it.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic scenery, indeed! Glad you got some sunshine along with the breeze.
    Happy weekend - I guess another walk is on your agenda?

    https://thethreegerbers.blogspot.ch/2018/04/g-is-for-geneva.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Tamara. It's been a breezy weekend in Doha, so I've had my fill of walks. I'm all set for the second week of this challenge now:)

      Delete
  4. Your photos are gorgeous Arti - it was a truly pleasant walk indeed! I do like a bit of wind when I'm walking - I like to imagine at any point I could spread my arms and fly a bit. Best to be a bit careful along cliff edges though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deborah, the British breeze will carry you away if you're not careful:)

      Delete
  5. I'd be the one falling off the path, cuz I'd be so busy gawping at how gorgeous it it.
    Your pictures are much safer for me, thank you!
    ;-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel good about my photographic service after reading your comment Jz. Cheers:)

      Delete
  6. What fabulous photos Arti - thanks to them I felt as though I'm walking along with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you felt this way Kalpana.
      Thank you.

      Delete
  7. Your words and photos bring the area to life, Arti!

    "gaits mis-matched but heading to the same home afterwards" - LOVE this!

    Emily In Ecuador | Greenery Delivered to Your Door in Puerto Lopez

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Such picturesque sights. These can be converted into postcards. Great sights and great weather to spend a lovely time with family and friends.
    Shilpa Garg #AtoZChallenge

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a scenic place! Gorgeous pictures! Keep walking n keep sharing:-)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your thoughts and comments here.