Tuesday 17 April 2018

O is for Overheard at Old Harry Rocks #AtoZChallenge

O has brought us back to Dorset: to the most easterly point of the Jurassic Coast of England, a UNESCO world heritage site.

My A to Z journey this year started with a few photos of  Alum Chine on this coast and today, more than half way through this challenge, I'm back with a stack of photos of a stunning place called Old Harry Rocks.

Are you curious to check it out for yourself? What are you waiting for? Put some sun cream on and let's go. Don't be fooled by the clouds, the sun gets very bright very quickly here.
I was curious about the name: Old Harry Rocks.

To tell you the truth, I picture old Harry rocking and rolling somewhere in the vicinity. I prefer my version of an old man named Harry who truly rocked the area, but if you're pedantic about this sort of thing, then this is what I found out while digging on-line: Jade and Dan's website offers the best write-up on The Legend of Old Harry Here's an extract from their site:

"One legend claims that the stack of Old Harry is so named because the Devil, for whom Old Harry is an age-old nickname, had a sleep on the famed rocks. Echoing this devilish tone, there is an old saying that speaks of someone 'playing Old Harry,' which would rather brutally mean 'to ruin or destroy.' The rocks were supposedly named as they are to give warning to ships to keep their distance from the treacherous cliffs. 
The other of the two tales is centered around one infamous individual. Harry Paye was a pirate who called the Poole area his home, making it a place of terror and trouble as he spent his days attacking the merchant ships that sailed in and out of Poole Harbour. It is said that the iconic stack and arches that provide us with adventures a-plenty were named after this very Harry as the caves became a hiding place for his loot. "




I didn't know it then but the short video I took of this thistle, dancing on the coast. 
captured snippets of  a conversation.
But ever since I've heard it, I've been imagining who the voices belong to:
young? old? family? friends? 
Who were these people?
What was the day like for them?
My back was turned to them. They must've walked on while I was busy with our dancing thistle.
I wonder what all the flora and the fauna of such oft-trodden paths must witness and overhear almost everyday.

Have you ever heard a conversation by chance and wondered about it later?


Perfect locations such as these beckon you to sit and stare and stare a little more...
Enjoy a peace filled day. 

19 comments:

  1. I know I've done the overheard conversation but can't recall any in detail. What I wonder about sometimes is, how much of the world my image in other people's pictures has traveled? If only I could peep out of that photo and see the places I've gone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what Jz--you should use this idea "how much of the world my image in other people's pictures has traveled" and write a series of speculative travel stories (humorous ones, of course). Howzzat for an idea?

      Delete
  2. Hari OM
    Strictly-speaking that flower is Knapweed... take it from a Scot! Very pretty though, and snatches of conversation can be quite delicious (if voyeuristic). My favourite place for such is riding on public transport. Whole stories could be built from single sentences. This post brought back memories of early childhood and family travels in the campervan - we went to Old Harry Rocks! YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Yamini. I've fixed my knowledge (or lack of) of flora:)
      We saw some beautiful campsites on the coast. Those must've been fabulous holidays.

      Delete
  3. Old Harry the Devil! Great name and lovely photos, thanks for sharing a wonderful location, must add it to my list of places to visit.
    https://iainkellywriting.com/2018/04/17/o-is-for-ogre-latvia/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt so serene just gazing at your photos. How magnificent those cliffs are - whether the caves hid the devil or the pirate - they look just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photos. I confess I got a bit nervous seeing the photo with the kayaks and the person at the top of the cliff. I wanted to urge them to step back at bit. You can't be to careful in a place where the devil and pirates once hung out. :-)

    Your video made me smile. The flower is delightful, and the conversation intriguing.

    I often wonder what the trees hear. I live on a neighborhood line with trees and with houses quite close together. I sometimes imagine trees are beautiful guardians holding hands over our rooftops and perhaps listening to us while on the job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the image of the trees you've painted with your words Deborah: guardians holding hands...ah!Thank you.

      Delete
  6. the second photo looks like a dog, one those black and white dogs like the movie 'Beethoven', kind of odd but cute.

    I never overhear anything interesting, it's all very mundane but I do remember someone saying 'this is live. live it!" & I don't even recall why I remember that.

    have a lovely day.

    my latest a-z is: onlooker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does Lissa. I had to scroll up to see what you saw and I saw it too:)
      Thank you.

      Delete
  7. Love Old harry, and tales such as those... and I love eavesdropping, and then butting into the conversation, when appropriate, I do confess!!

    Beth
    https://bethlapinsatozblog.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! ha! butting in too? Now that's worth a theme for another A to Z I reckon:)

      Delete
  8. I prefer your version of Old Harry, Arti. I imagine him in a wooden rocking chair looking out over those amazing rocks.

    Emily In Ecuador

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and I are on the same page of humour Emily.
      Cheers:)

      Delete
  9. Old Harry Rocks... I am going with your impression :D What a fascinating story and the pictures are OMG... so gorgeous. I have scrolled up and down twice to soak in the beauty, peace and tranquility of the place. Great captures, Arti!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shilpa. Glad you enjoyed the coast:)

      Delete
  10. Beautiful pictures Arti! That dancing thistle - magic. I'd forgotten the devil's other name, Old Harry -

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your thoughts and comments here.