Friday 23 April 2021

T is for Trees Hussain draws #AtoZChallenge

Dear Readers,

Welcome to the fourth week of the #Blogging from A to Z  April Challenge 2021. My theme this year is based on the Japanese concept of Ichigo Ichie which means--"What we are experiencing right now will never happen again. And therefore, we must value each moment like a beautiful treasure."

I've put together a collage of such moments which can be seen as chance occurrences, coincidences, pre-destined or random (depending on who you ask) for this month's challenge. 

I hope you'll enjoy being here.

Thank you.

Arti
*****
One of the Eight Zen Lessons for an Ichigo Ichie Life listed in the The Book of Ichigo Ichie is:

Just sit and see what happens: Our spiritual short-sightedness often causes us to look far away: in space and time -- for what's really right in front of us. 

Zen teaches us to simply sit and embrace the moment, 
with no further ambitions than this. 
If we are with people, we celebrate their company as a gift. 
He is Hussain.

In the summer of 2018, I was roaming the streets of Barcelona alone. 

The husband had work to attend to and I had no agenda tying me down. I did what I love. I walked without a map, without a plan, turning corners that enticed me and exploring lanes that caught my eye. My camera and I, we were grateful for such unencumbered pastures of time to frolic in to our heart's content.

In a lane, I met Hussain.

He was working with tin cans.

We got talking. He told me he hails from Pakistan.

I mentioned my grandfather to him. I told him I used to call him Papaji.
That Papaji had to leave his home in Shinkiari, in the North West Frontier
of what used to be one country
but now lies in his Pakistan.

He looked up from the tree he'd drawn
in an open tin can
and said,
"I can't take money from you then.
tum to humaree beti hui."
(you are like a daughter to me.)

I've written about Hussain before, on my Instagram post. And like that time, even today, when I type and his face emerges before my eyes, all these years later, I can feel the warmth of the love ocean coursing through his generous heart.

We chatted 
for a long time. 
I had no plans, nowhere to go. 
I slipped 
into a squat next to him. 
I remember a ledge that I rested on. It felt good 
after walking all day long. 
He kept creating 
his art treasures from recycled cans: painting 
trees of life, or knowledge or love perhaps.

I asked him if I could click his photos while he worked. He nodded and smiled and pointed to capital letters on white card that read 
'PHOTO FREE'.

He let me capture 
this meeting of our souls with lenses, senses.

With almost all his possessions lying 
next to him in a bag, looking 
into an uncertain future as his paperwork was still being processed, Hussain sat 
by the roadside like a King: kind, radiant, generous and smiling.

I picked a few of his art pieces and thought I'd give them to friends in Doha as remembrances
of the city
I found him in.

The art pieces sit on top of my chest of drawers--stacked 
like dishes--because every time I've taken one out to give, 
I've felt reluctant to part with it.

What is it that makes me so attached 
to art made by a stranger sitting in a busy Barcelona lane who seemed so detached from it all; so content; so at peace with himself? I wonder.

The next day, I went back to the same lane looking for Hussain but he was nowhere to be seen. I walked around for a few hours in the hope that I might see him. 

But I didn't.

He must be lighting up whichever corner of the world he's in.

Yes, he is truly Hussain. 

Hussain, I hope you're well and healthy.



Hussain in Urdu means good, beautiful, handsome.

Do you strike up conversations with strangers? Have you met any Hussains on your travels?
You know I'd love to hear, If you'd like to share.

Last year, I shared this song sung by our daughter, Arshia: Toxic Weather

This year, I'm participating in #BlogchatterA2Z  powered by theblogchatter.com 

32 comments:

  1. A lovely meeting, as always, when you do not look for it. This is a kind of freedom, in the mind at least I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I remember your Insta post about Hussain and loved those cute drawings. We just meet some people and their memory stays with us forever! I'm not comfortable talking to people. I like to observe them and smile or wave, but that's it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Observing is a wonderful conversation too Sri:)

      Delete
  3. Hari OM
    One is ever amazed at how 'recycling' can be as magic as this. I do enjoy spontaneous and serendiptous meetings such as this. We have them for just those few moments and yet they live so long in memory! I have on my wall, an art piece given to me in Sydney by a similar personality. Ng Ton was a Vietnamese refugee who had a talent for creating the most amazing artworks with spray cans - as good as any classically trained oil and brushes artist. He was in the Manly Mall, al fresco, creating before our eyes. I bought him lunch and enjoyed hearing his story - and when I left he spent less than three minutes creating a small kookaburra image on a scrap paper for me. It sits proudly on my wall to this day... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to seeing a picture of the kookaburra in a blog or Insta post dear Yamini.
      Thank you:)

      Delete
  4. Nice to know about Hussain and his artistic capabilities behind a simple persona. Maybe his handsomeness comes from his simplicity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes the warmth we get from a total stranger can humble us absolutely

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is stories like these that bring tears to the eyes- especially when it is told so well...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I somehow recall Hussain maybe through your insta post. This story has sooo much warmth. Loved it Arti. In my only official travel Feb2019,after official duty, I met one Mr &Mrs Sohanlal in Shilparamam, Hyderabad. This couple have been putting up puppet shows for over 50 yrs now. It was an interesting evening hearing them & their struggles to keep this business alive. They have performed for Raj Kapoor in his RK studio too. That evening my friend & me were their only audience but Sohanlal & wife’s puppet show was as if it was a houseful event. Sohanlal was 80 yrs & wife was 75. Thinking of them today courtesy Hussain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! What a magical meeting that must've been Vidya. Thank you for sharing it here.
      Hugs. xx

      Delete
  8. Such chance meetings are always refreshing. Hope Hussain was just around somewhere!
    I too love striking up conversations with strangers. I remember one during my Japan trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to hear more about that conversation Pradeep. Japan fascinates me.

      Delete
  9. Oh my goodness, what a wonderful experience! Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a heartwarming meeting. I can totally imagine Hussain bringing joy and smiles somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A magical meeting. It's been so long since we've been able to wander around the streets it will be nice to try and meet some 'strangers' again. Lovely story Arti.
    https://iainkellywriting.com/2021/04/23/the-state-trilogy-a-z-guide-t/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain.
      This is what I miss the most--the chance meetings.

      Delete
  12. Oh, Arti, this is such a precious story and beautiful memory. I call people like your Hussain everyday angels - they touch our souls and we never forget. I'm glad you got to spend time with him, got those wonderful photos, and you have pieces of his work. Such treasures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyday angels fits perfectly with my image of him and many others like him.
      Thank you Deborah.

      Delete
  13. I did remember reading your earlier post about him before you said it. May God be with him :).

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful story. I love that you still have the art he created and can't part with it. Weekends In Maine

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a very moving account. Appeals straight to the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a heartwarming tale :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your thoughts and comments here.