Saturday 28 March 2020

Welcome to my A to Z Blogging Challenge of 2020

Dear Readers,

Awkward pauses hold my thoughts captive as I try to type out a post today to say hello to you after a gap of an autumn and a winter. Two seasons apart has turned me into a tongue tied blushing bride: I'm not sure where to begin and how to give form to the stream of emotions that's gurgling inside. So, I'll do as the wise people say. I'll start at the beginning.

For me, beginnings are easier to get to when I work my way back from the end. The end of 2019 threw some curve balls at us as a family and when 2020 shone on the horizon, I was in danger of boxing all of last year into one big disappointment box, tape it up with 'why us' and post a big 'I'm feeling sorry for myself' label on it.

But, someone, somewhere, in this dimension or another, was looking out for us. Hearts healed and bodies bounced back to health.

Ironically, just as I was beginning to flex my writing muscles and get the grey cells ticking to the tune of writing regularly, news of corona-virus threatened to capsize my feeble attempts to get back to blogging.

The heart said not to bother with the challenge in such challenging times and let this year's A to Z slide by just like 2019. But the shutdowns and curfews and the inability to continue with my work at the local hospital have opened up a parallel universe of unencumbered time.

So, I thought to myself, why not step into this expanse and write?

I've been toying with the idea of writing a memoir for over a decade now. But, somehow, I haven't put in any real work into the idea. So, this time, thanks to the discipline of this challenge, I hope to make a start.

For the month of April, I will be sharing stories and memories from my childhood which revolve around my grandfather's garden.

I've inherited his love for the land, soil and seed and in recalling my fondest memories of him and his beloved garden, I hope to introduce you to him, my Papaji. Of course, no mention of Papaji is complete without talking about his better half, my grandmother, Beji, who he doted on and whose kitchen will provide some of the tasty flavours of this month's posts.

The posts this month will follow only one rhythm: that which goes from A to Z. So, the seasons and the mood may change every day--be warned. Not all that you'll read here in April will be happy and full of light. Some of the posts may make you unhappy or sad. But such is life.

Apart from my grandparents, you may meet a few other members of my family, but the focus of this month is Papaji and Beji. So, come along and meet them and some flowers, fruit and vegetables that grew in a plot of land I remember as heaven.

It all happened in the mid nineteen seventies in Dehradun in a garden that was attached to a house built for refugees who'd left their homes and lands and moved to the newly formed India in 1947.

Papaji and Beji were two of the fifteen million people who were uprooted from their homes to honour a line drawn on a map by Sir Cyril Radcliffe.

Roots and branches will keep you company on this blog during this month of A to Z.

See you on the 1st of April 2020 with the first offering of "Papaji's Garden".

Keep safe and healthy.

Love

Arti

19 comments:

  1. Hari OM
    OH my - what a way to return to us!!! Am so very glad to see you 'out and about', Arti. Sorry that tough times prevented your being here. To be fair, apart from my blog, all other writing for me has had to go on hold as I had to take up full-cares of my father - although shared with my sister, she is still in employment and also very social and tends to get ill quite a lot... I have hardly seem my own 'Hutch' this year and now with the lockdown...

    So I understand and sympathise and also celebrate your decision to work the A-Z. Looking forward to your posts very much. YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hari Om Yamini.
      Wow! What a warm welcome this is. Thank you for your visit and your words--both bring such peace to me.

      I wish you good health and peace and look forward to reading your posts too.
      Much Love. xx

      Delete
  2. Oh, I'm SO glad.
    Both to see you and to hear that I can look forward to a month of wonderful words from you. (Which I'll even have time to enjoy, as I'm not playing this year.)
    Welcome back, sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jz.
      Hope all is well where you are.
      I'm gonna miss your humorous verses for sure.
      So happy to be back--it feels like a homecoming, almost:)
      Hugs.

      Delete
  3. Sounds interesting. I will be back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Kristin.
      See you on soon.
      All the best.

      Delete
  4. Looking forward to your words (and delighted to see you back!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Selkie. So glad to see you here.
      Hope you're well.

      Delete
  5. Hello Arti,
    Lets meet Your Papaji and Beeji and Compare notes ��
    Lots of Love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ashish. Ah! Comparing notes -- this should be fun.:)

      Delete
  6. Loved the intro Arti. Looking forward to reading your childhood memories which I'm sure will be a pleasure to read. Stay safe and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Arti, loved to read the intro, looking forward to read more. Stay safe and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grandparents, gardens, the smell of cooking from your home kitchen.

    Hmm to me life does not get much better than that. And what better time than the start of spring - landscapes filled with lush colour, smells of the earth, and the warm morning sun. Welcome back Arti - sure sign that winter's over :) Big hug ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a pretty picture of spring you paint with your words Raj.
      Big hug to you too.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your thoughts and comments here.